Recently I have been searching for a WordPress plugin that allows me to rate (to record a rating as part of a voting jury) a venue described in a post I’ve published – and also allows the readers of my post to cast their votes.
I would like to use such a plugin on Hallo Boekarest and display the results in an aggregated manner that is meaningful to the visitors:
- Allow content publishers to record their vote within the post administration page.
- Display the publisher’s vote in a highlighted way (eg: Editor’s Rating)
- Allow readers to record their votes within the comment section
- Display the vote in the comment
- Allow readers to record their votes anonymously within the post page
- Display the aggregated vote value (total score) and maybe allow custom weight of votes within the aggregation formula.
To my surprise, there are not that many choices!
The closest plugin to my requirements is Rating-Widget but the unacceptable downsides are that it is a paid service and that the ratings are stored on their server. A big NO!
The GD Star Ratings plugin that I used for years is abandoned, no longer under active development since 2012 and unusable with recent versions of WordPress. I can’t blame the author for not wanting to maintain this product any more. It became a mammoth and the ground-up second version was a flop. The configuration was complicated, the documentation was not free and people stopped using it.
I really feel sorry for GDSR because it had everything! Some bloggers still recommend it, but I advise you not to use it unless you want to start hacking it.
Another plugin that I tried was KK Star Ratings, but I couldn’t find a way to associate votes with comments. And the plugin has not been updated since mid 2013. It looks like a good contender, but there’s a lot of development still to be done.
It seems like all the good WordPress stuff is having a price now. The Rating-Widget plugin looks good but it is quite expensive on the long run ($9/month or $84/year). Because I don’t want to spend this money and thinking I can do better, there’s only one thing left to do: write my own WordPress rating plugin!